­

Toxic mold, dangerous to humans in large amounts, has plagued builders and homeowners for years.

If you have not had your house inspected for such things, be on the lookout for the following changes in your homes: swollen and crumbling boards, musty (or urine) smells, or oddly colored speckling (brown, orange, pink) on your walls or grout

Many times there is nothing you could've done to prevent your home from developing toxic mold. Lumber that wasn't treated with fungicides or was stored outside for long periods of time before use in your home could be the culprit. For these reasons, homes built during dry and hot seasons may have less chance of developing toxic mold. The wood had less chance of absorbing moisture before being used in the structure.

However, anywhere that moisture can rest on untreated wood, toxic mold can be an issue. As a preventative measure, check for windows and doors that need resealed. Be sure if you have vinyl siding that it is fit securely to your home and no unwanted fungi are lurking behind.

A simple rule of thumb is that any moisture that lands on, under, over, or in your house must have a way for it to dry out quickly. Mold is attracted to moisture that stays for long periods of time, giving it something to survive in and on. This is why many people find relatively harmless molds growing in their showers from time to time. They are attracted to moisture that doesn't always evaporate as quickly as it should.

But toxic mold is dangerous. If one or more of your family members has begun to develop specific symptoms you think are related to toxic mold, contact a doctor immediately. Excessive exposure to the mold can have lasting health related consequences. Look for memory loss, respiratory issues, difficulty swallowing, vision problems, headaches, and chronic fatigue.

If you have reason to believe that your home is growing toxic mold, contact a specialist immediately. They will present you with several options, one of which is new to the market. Foster, a company who produces construction coatings, have developed a new mold-resistant sealer.

The product is sprayed all over the home and has a 10 year warranty. It is able to kill some already existent mold and prevent the growth of mold, even in areas that are prone to flooding. Prices vary by area and contractor, but you could treat a new 2,000 square foot house for around $1,000 in most markets. Already existing homes are more expensive and can be more difficult to treat.

Log in to comment
­