- Oil Fired Heating Systems:
- Oil fired systems must be tuned up every year by a reputable heating service contractor for efficient operation. Most oil delivery companies will provide a service contract with the Owner to service and tune up the oil burner and provide emergency repairs and maintain the oil tanks. The burner flame must be adjusted every year, the oil filters changed, the flue draft regulator adjusted, and the flue pipe cleaned.
- When the oil burner engaged, there were (y/n)__________ signs of back-smoking. Any back-smoking will indicate a problem condition that needs to be repaired.
- The oil burner flame was (y/n)__________ able to be viewed for proper color and height.
- The firebox is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. This area needs to be periodically monitored due to deterioration from the high temperature of the burner flame.
- The oil feed lines are in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. The feed lines should be made of copper and should be covered to prevent them from being damaged or becoming a tripping hazard.
- There is (y/n)__________ a required firematic shutoff valve within 6 feet of the burner for safety to shut off the fuel. The purpose of this is to be able to shut off the flow of oil if it is necessary. This is different from the emergency shutoff switch because it does not turn off the burner, it only shuts off the oil supply.
- The oil filter is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition.
- The oil tank is located ___________________________________. The oil tank was (y/n)__________ able to be viewed for rusting or corrosion problems. It is highly recommended that the oil tank be tested by a reputable oil contractor to determine if there are any present leaks or potential leaks due to corroded sections of the tank.
- Oil tanks generally last about 25 to 30 years and longer if maintained properly. Determine from the Owner or the oil contractor what the exact age of the oil tank(s) is. Determine if any Certificate of Occupancy, permits or surveys are needed in the local municipality with on-site oil tanks.
- The draft regulator on the flue pipe is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. This needs to be adjusted every year with the tune-up of the heating system. The purpose of it is to allow some cool air from the boiler room area to help with the removal of carbon monoxide up the chimney, without drawing too much heat from the boiler or furnace.