- Forced Warm Air Systems:
- There is (y/n)__________ at least one supply vent in each room providing heat.
- The air filters were (y/n)__________ clean when checked. They need to be replaced every few months during the heating season. This is similar to changing your car air and oil filters. If you do not do it often enough, you will create excess wear and tear on the furnace due to the lack of maintenance.
- The air ducts are (y/n)____________________________ insulated. All ducts should be insulated, internally or externally, for maximum energy efficiency.
- There is (y/n)__________ a humidifier on the heating ducts. Forced hot air heating systems will dry out the air in a house and can lead to the occupants getting sore throats. A humidifier will help prevent this. Humidifiers cannot be fully tested during a home inspection due to their operation. The life expectancy of a humidifier is generally about 5 to 7 years.
- The furnace plenum is (y/n)__________ separated from the heat exchanger and fan area by a canvas or flexible type of material. This will help prevent any vibrations caused by the blower fan from being transmitted through the ducts and into the livable rooms.
- The inspector was (y/n)__________ able to view the heat exchanger and the fan. There were (y/n)__________ signs of excessive rust or cracks in the visible and accessible areas. Sealed systems cannot be fully inspected due to lack of access. If the heat exchanger is cracked it will leak carbon monoxide into the supply ducts of the house. If there is a leak of any kind it must be checked out IMMEDIATELY before using the heating system again. The carbon monoxide that is released is a LETHAL GAS!!
- The fan was (y/n)__________ making unusual noises while it was operating. Abnormal or unusual noises while operating will indicate repairs may be needed.