- Forced Hot Water Heating Systems:
- There is (y/n)__________ at least one radiator in each room for heating purposes.
- The circulator pump(s) is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition and was (y/n)__________ operating properly at the time of the inspection. Circulator pumps need just a drop of oil in the oil ports approximately once a year. Have the heating service contractor check this with the annual tune ups.
- The visible heating pipes and pipe joints are in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. There are (y/n)__________ signs of excessive rust or leaking conditions. Any rust or leaking conditions will require repairs by a licensed contractor.
- The heat exchanger was (y/n)_________ able to be viewed for signs of excessive rust or leaking conditions.
- The water pressure reducing valve is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. This reduces the water pressure that is coming from the house plumbing lines, which is usually about 30 to 60 psi (pounds per square inch), down to about 12 to 15 psi before entering the boiler.
- There is (y/n)__________ a required backflow preventer next to the water pressure reducing valve. This prevents water that has entered the boiler from re-circulating back into the house plumbing lines and mixing with the faucet and shower water supply which is a health hazard.
- The expansion tank is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. When you heat water it expands. The heated water needs a cushion to expand or else it will burst some of the pipe joints or discharge the pressure relief valve to relieve the pressure. The expansion tank has an air pocket or a rubber bag in it that cushions the water as it expands so the pressure in the system does not get too high. It needs to be checked periodically for water-logging problems. It should have a bleeder valve to put air in it if it becomes waterlogged. It should have a drainage valve on the bottom to drain it at least once a year for any rust and sediment that builds up in the tank.
- The pressure gauge does (y/n)__________ appear to be operating properly. The proper operating pressure for a hot water heating system is between 12 to 22 psi.
- The pressure relief valve is (y/n)__________ located directly on the boiler for safety. This valve is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. This is a safety device that helps prevent the heating system from becoming dangerously high in pressure. If the pressure reaches 30 psi then the valve will discharge to relieve the system pressure so the boiler will not explode.
- The pressure relief valve is (y/n)__________ piped properly for safety. It must be piped to within 8 inches of the floor to prevent scalding anyone when discharging. When water or steam discharges from this valve, it indicates a problem condition and the system must be checked out immediately by a licensed heating contractor.
- There is (y/n)__________ a drain valve on the lower part of the boiler. This is used to drain some water into a bucket each month to remove some of the rust and sediment that normally builds up in the system.