- Steam Heating Systems:
- There is (y/n)__________ at least one radiator in each room for heating purposes.
- The visible heating pipes and pipe joints are in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. There are (y/n)__________ signs of excessive rust or leaking conditions. Any rust or leaking conditions will require repairs by a licensed contractor.
- The heat exchanger was (y/n)_________ able to be viewed for signs of excessive rust or leaking conditions.
- The pressure gauge does (y/n)__________ appear to be operating properly. The proper operating pressure for a steam heating system is between 2 to 5 pounds per square inch, (psi).
- The upper limit switch is (y/n)____________ located directly on the boiler for safety. This switch is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. If the pressure gets too high, this switch will turn off the burner.
- The pressure relief valve is (y/n)__________ located directly on the boiler for safety. This valve is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. This is a safety device that helps prevent the heating system from becoming dangerously high in pressure. If the pressure reaches 15 psi then the valve will discharge to relieve the system pressure so the boiler will not explode.
- The pressure relief valve is (y/n)__________ piped properly for safety. It must be piped to within 8 inches of the floor to prevent scalding when discharging. When water or steam discharges from this valve, it indicates a problem condition and the system must be checked out immediately by a licensed heating contractor.
- There is (y/n)__________ a drain valve on the lower part of the boiler. This is used to drain some water into a bucket each month to remove some of the rust and sediment that normally builds up in the system.
- The water level in the boiler sight glass was (y/n)__________ at the proper level at the time of the inspection. The sight glass water level should be 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. It should not be completely empty nor completely full which will cause problems in the system. The sight glass level allows you to see that there is air and water in the boiler. This is because you are making steam and you have got to have room for the heated water to boil and create the steam.