- There is (y/n)__________ a central air-conditioning system for the subject property.
- The Owner or Realtor stated that the unit does (y/n)__________ cool the house adequately in the warmer months. An air-conditioning system is a closed system, and, theoretically, there should never be a need for additional Freon. However, in practice, the various fittings on the connecting pipes can loosen or develop hairline cracks that can allow some of the Freon gas to escape. If the air-conditioning system cannot hold a Freon charge for at least one season, then the leaks in the pipes or fittings should be located and sealed.
- The outdoor air temperature was (y/n)__________ warm enough to test the air-conditioner at the time of the inspection. Central or window air-conditioning units cannot be tested when the outdoor air temperature is 65 degree Fahrenheit or lower. The interior pressure that is required to properly operate an air-conditioning system is too low when the outdoor air temperature is 65 degrees or lower.
- All window and wall air-conditioning units were (y/n)__________ able to be spot checked for proper operation. They did (y/n)__________ operate properly when tested. Determine from the Owner or Realtor if the portable air-conditioning units are being sold with the house.
- The air-conditioning system was tested by turning up all of the zone thermostats to engage the system for about (#)__________ minutes. All vents/registers did (y/n)__________ operate properly during the testing by discharging cool air.
- The inspector was (y/n)__________ able to spot check a supply vent with a thermometer to determine if the discharging air was cool enough. The reading should be about 55 to 58 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature reading noted was (#)__________ degrees at the time of the inspection.
- There is (y/n)__________ at least one supply vent in each room providing cool air.
- The inspector was (y/n)__________ able to view the air filters. The air filters were (y/n)__________ clean when checked. They need to be replaced every few months during the air-conditioning season. This is similar to changing your car air and oil filters. If you do not do it often enough, you will create excess wear and tear due to the lack of maintenance.
- The air ducts are (y/n)____________________________ insulated. All ducts should be insulated, internally or externally, for maximum energy efficiency.
- The air handler plenum is (y/n)__________ separated from the fan area by a canvas or flexible type of material. This will help prevent any vibrations caused by the blower fan from being transmitted through the ducts and into the livable rooms.
- The inspector was (y/n)__________ able to view the evaporator coil and the fan. There were (y/n)__________ signs of excessive rust or cracks in the visible and accessible areas that need to be evaluated by a licensed contractor. Sealed systems cannot be fully inspected due to lack of access.
- The inspector was (y/n)__________ able to view the condensation drain pan under the evaporator coil. The condensation drain pan is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. The drain pan drainage line does (y/n)__________ lead to a condensate pump that removes the condensation to a suitable location. The life expectancy of these pumps is about 5 to 7 years.
- The fan was (y/n)__________ making unusual noises while it was operating. Abnormal or unusual noises while operating will indicate repairs may be needed.
- The age of the compressor unit is approximately (#)__________ ears. The life expectancy of an air-conditioning compressor is about 10 to 12 years, depending upon the amount of usage and maintenance given to the system over the years.
- The compressor is (y/n)________ resting on a sturdy and level foundation, such as a concrete base. Uneven installations can cause premature failure of the compressor because it will be leaning to one side while operating.
- The compressor was (y/n)__________ making unusual noises while it was operating. Abnormal or unusual noises while operating will indicate repairs may be needed.
- There is (y/n)__________ a required exterior service disconnect switch next to the compressor for emergency and repairs shut off. There was (y/n)__________ adequate ventilation around the compressor unit for the air intake and blower fan to operate properly. All trees and bushes should be pruned away at all times and there should be no obstructions overhead. The coils were (y/n)__________ lean when checked. The coils need to be cleaned periodically for proper maintenance of the system.
- The high and low pressure lines were checked where visible and accessible. The lines are (y/n)__________ made of copper. The low pressure line, which is the larger pipe that is about 3/4 inch in diameter, is (y/n)__________ insulated. This line must be insulated for energy efficiency since it has cold Freon in it. The high pressure line is the thin diameter line and it does not need to be insulated.