Walls and Ceilings
- The walls and ceilings are (y/n)__________ in sound structural condition. There are (y/n)__________ signs of abnormal settlement cracks or structural problems that need further evaluation by a licensed contractor. There are (y/n)__________ minor settlement cracks noted in the walls and/or ceilings that appear to be from the normal expansion and contraction of the construction materials.
- The interior walls are made of (sheetrock/plaster/etc.)_______________________________________________.
- There are (y/n)__________ signs of water stains or water damage in the visible areas of the walls and/or ceilings. Any water stained areas will have more extensive damage behind the walls and ceilings that is not visible to the inspector and must be evaluated by a reputable contractor. The finished coverings will have to be removed to expose this hidden area in order to view the damage.
- The interior walls and ceilings do (y/n)__________ need to be painted at this time. All settlement cracks and damaged areas should be patched and sealed over the next time the interior is re-painted. The inspector cannot determine if there is any lead paint in the house. This can only be determined by a reputable laboratory analysis which should be performed prior to closing if any doubts exist.
- There is (y/n)__________ wallpaper noted on the interior walls. The wallpaper is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition and there were (y/n)__________ signs of peeling or aging sections. Removing any existing wallpaper is a time consuming job that can be expensive. All cost estimates should be obtained. You have to be careful removing wallpaper from sheetrock walls because you can pull the cardboard paper covering off the sheetrock walls along with the wallpaper.
- There are (y/n)__________ smoke detectors noted on all levels in the home. The smoke detectors were (y/n)__________ able to be spot checked for proper operation. The smoke detectors do (y/n)__________ appear to be in operating order. The smoke detectors are operated by (batteries/electricity)__________________________. Smoke detectors are required on all levels of a residence and heat detectors are recommended in the garage, attic and lower level areas. If the smoke detectors are battery operated it is highly recommended hat you replace all batteries after moving in. If the smoke detectors have a "hard wired" installation, obtain all operating instructions from the homeowner. Smoke detectors cannot be properly evaluated during a limited time home inspection.