- The attic space was (y/n)__________ accessible for the inspector to make evaluations of the areas above the top floor finished ceilings.
- The access panel leading to the attic is located ________________________________________________. There is (y/n)__________ a stairway to provide easy access to the attic. The stairway was in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition and did (y/n)__________ have sturdy handrails and steps for safe passage.
- It is highly recommended that a handrail be installed inside the attic area surrounding the access opening. This will help prevent anyone walking in the attic area from falling through the access opening. Do not wait for an accident to happen, install a handrail now!!
- The attic floor is (y/n)__________ covered so that this area can be used to store lightweight household items. Heavy objects are not recommended for storage in the attic area due to the excessive weight they exert on the ceiling below.
- The roof ridge beam appeared to be in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition where visible and accessible. The roof "ridge beam" is the main girder type beam at the top of the crest of the roof.
- The roof rafters appeared to be in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition where visible and accessible. The roof "rafters" are the floor joist type beams leading from the attic floor up to the roof ridge beam.
- The roof sheathing appeared to be in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition where visible and accessible. The roof "sheathing" is the sub-flooring type wood that the roof shingles rest upon. The sheathing is made of (plywood/etc.)_____________________________________________________________________.
- There were (y/n)__________ water stains that appeared to be due to water leaks or abnormal humidity in the attic area. Often there are old water stains from prior roof leaks that have been repaired. There are (y/n)__________ owed and/or damaged sections of the wood members in the attic roof area. Any water leaks, abnormal humidity, bowing and/or damaged wood members in the attic roof area will require repairs by a licensed roofing contractor.
- There are (y/n)__________ collar beams in the attic. "Collar beams" are generally constructed of 2 x 4 inch wood boards that are located several feet below the ridge beam. The purpose of collar beams is to "tie" both sides of the roof together so that all of the weight of the roof does not rest upon the ridge beam alone. Collar beams give the roof additional support and it is recommended that they be installed when not noted.