- It is very important that the attic be properly ventilated to help prevent excessive humidity or heat in this area. Even in cold winter months humidity can cause problems in attics and needs to be ventilated to the exterior. In the summer months attics can reach 150 degrees Fahrenheit, which adds a big heat load on the house.
- There size of the attic vent(s) do (y/n)__________ appear to be adequate to provide proper ventilation in this area.
- The screens on the attic vents are in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. The screens need to be kept clean at all times. Screens help to keep birds and bees out of the attic.
- There were (y/n)__________ bathroom fans noted to be discharging in the attic area. All bathroom vents and fans must discharge to the exterior of the house. If they discharge in the attic they will create moisture problems.
- There are (y/n)__________ soffit vents. "Soffit vents" are vents at the base of the roof where it overhangs the exterior siding. Soffit vents are recommended to allow air to come into the base of the roof in the attic area and carry any unwanted heat or moisture out the attic gable or roof vents.
- There is (y/n)__________ a ridge vent. A "ridge vent" is a vent at the very top of the roof, above the ridge beam. Ridge vents are recommended to allow unwanted heat and moisture to escape from the attic through the top of the roof.
- There is (y/n)__________ a thermostatically operated power ventilator in the attic. A "thermostatically operated power ventilator" is a fan in the roof that operates by a thermostat. When the temperature in the attic reaches a pre-set level, the fan will automatically turn on to cool this area. When the temperature drops low enough, the fan will automatically turn off by itself.
- There is (y/n)__________ an attic and/or whole house fan installed in the house. Attic and house fans need to have adequate vents to discharge the air so the fan will operate properly and will not break down prematurely.