This book covers some portions of our CONDENSED - Home Inspection Report Generator and On-Site Checklist. The condensed version is mainly for use by non-professional home inspectors to assist them with inspecting real estate. Professional home inspectors use our NARRATIVE - Home Inspection Report Generator and On-Site Checklist. Contact us if you would like to purchase our Narrative - Home Inspection Report Generator and On-Site Checklist if you are interested in doing professional home inspections on any real estate property.
- There are (y/n)__________ tree branches overhanging the roof area. There should not be any tree branches overhanging the roof, which can cause damage to the shingles.
- The inspector was (y/n)__________ able to view the roof adequately from the following location(s) _____________________________________________________________________. All judgments and evaluations are made from that perspective.
- There are (y/n)__________ bowing sections of the roof ridge beam, roof rafters and/or the roof sheathing which would indicate repairs being needed.
- The roof covering/shingles installed on the house is made of ____________________________________ ______________________________________________________________. The roof covering/shingles appears to be approximately (#)__________ years old. It is in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. There are (y/n)__________ signs of rapidly aging and damaged areas of the roof covering.
- The average life expectancy of this type of roof covering/shingles is (#)__________ years. The life expectancy of all roofs depends upon many factors, some of which are the quality of the roof covering, the quality of the installation, the climate and exposure to the elements and the maintenance given to the roof over the years.
- The slope of the roof that has a southerly or southwesterly exposure faces the sun more often and can become brittle and show signs of aging faster. The slope of the roof that has a northerly or northeastern exposure is more apt to have mold and decay fungi due to the lack of sunlight.
- There appears to be (#)__________ layer(s) of shingles on the roof. Some local building codes allow there to be up to 3 layers of shingles on a roof. However, this adds too much weight to the structure and it is only recommended that there be 2 layers as a maximum. Also, when shingles are placed over an existing layer they tend to have a poor cosmetic appearance and it cuts down their life expectancy. When there are 2 or more layers of roof covering installed presently, then you will have to strip these layers off during the next re-roofing. This is much more expensive than just having a new layer put over the existing shingles. Especially if the roof sheathing has to be replaced as well.