Gutters, Downspouts and Leaders
- Gutters are installed along the bottom edge of the roof to catch the rainwater running off the roof. Downspouts are installed near the ends of the gutters and are used to drain the water from the gutters. Leaders re installed at the bottom of the downspouts to direct the rainwater away from the side of the house.
- The gutters, downspouts and leaders are made of ______________________________________________. They are in (G/A/F/P)_______________ condition. There is (y/n)__________ evidence of loose or leaning sections that need to be secured. The gutters, downspouts and leaders do (y/n)__________ appear to be clogged with leaves and/or twigs at this time.
- There are (y/n)__________ an adequate number of gutters, downspouts and leaders on the house. There should be at least 1 downspout for every 30 feet of gutter to help prevent excessive weight damaging the gutters due to the rainwater.
- All downspouts do (y/n)__________ have leaders to pipe the rainwater at least 5 feet away from the foundation to help prevent water problems in the lower level areas.
- There are (y/n)__________ downspouts that drain directly into the ground. These generally lead to dry wells or underground drainage lines. At the time of the inspection, they did (y/n)__________ appear to be clogged. They need to be checked periodically for clogging due to leaves and small animals getting stuck in them.