- There is (y/n)__________ a deck associated with the subject property. Decks always require building department approvals because of the safety concern if they are improperly built. Determine from the local municipality if all valid permits and approvals have been obtained for any deck construction.
- There is (y/n)__________ evidence of rotted and/or damaged sections of wood that need to be replaced.
- The deck railings are (y/n)__________ sturdy. The deck railings are (y/n)__________ properly spaced for safety. The deck perimeter railings must be spaced so that a maximum gap of 4 inches exists between them. This is to help prevent small children or dogs from falling through the openings.
- The main beam is (y/n)__________ lag bolted to the side of the house. There must be lag bolts in the main beam, called the "header beam," where the deck is attached to the side of the house. Lag bolts are a far superior way to support the deck, as opposed to just using nails.
- The floor joists of the deck do (y/n)__________ have steel support hangers. The floor joists of the deck must have steel support hangers to give them additional support, as opposed to just nailing them.
- The deck support posts and girders do (y/n)__________ have steel support brackets. All deck support posts and girders must have steel support brackets at the base and at the top for support. The base of the support posts are (y/n)__________ resting on concrete pads. The base of the posts should be resting on a concrete pads with steel brackets to keep the wood from being in contact with the soil.